Email MeCandace M. Williams
Candace M. Williams has practiced Family Law exclusively since 2003. After graduating from Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, with honors and distinction, she returned to her home town of Gainesville, Georgia by joining the firm of Coleman, Chambers, Rogers & Williams, LLP. Ms. Williams attended Brenau Women’s College and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in a double major of Political Science and History, cum laude. After graduating at the top of her class from Brenau, she returned to Washington D.C. after completing a summer internship with former Congress Nathan Deal, now Governor Deal. Ms. Williams served as Congressman Bob Barr’s (R.GA.), initially as his Legislative Correspondent being responsible for communication with his constituency through letters, emails, and telephone calls. She then served Congressman Barr as his Legislative Assistant over Veterans Affairs Committee, Commerce Committee, Transportation Committee and Environmental Committee, which involved attending committee hearings, voting recommendations, communication with press, and attendance with Congressman at press events. While working in Washington D.C., Candace served as a repeat Guest Columnist for the Gainesville Times often sharing legislative updates to our community in Northeast Georgia. Ms. Williams served on Congressman Barr’s legislative staff during the time Congressman Barr led the charge to impeach President Clinton in 1997.
Candace was named as Georgia’s Superlawyer “Rising Star,” in 2014. Georgia Legal Elite Magazine recognizes her as "Legal Elite" in the area of Family Law and Avvo rates Candace "9.3-Excellent.” Candace manages our Family Law Department at Coleman, Chambers, Rogers & Williams, LLP and assists in the management and education of our young associates. Candace is a law firm partner and attorney at Coleman, Chambers, Rogers & Williams, LLP in the practice of Family Law, Domestic Relations, Wills and Estates. Ms. Williams has successfully provided representation to our clients in all areas of the firm's Family Law practice such as:
• divorces, contested and uncontested as well as complex divorce cases involving the sensitive area of child custody,
• the division of financial assets,
• including the use of forensic accounting, forensic computer analysis,
• complicated tracing of assets, and
• division of business when necessary,
• Modification of child custody, visitation, and child support;
• alimony and spousal support; modification of child support, custody, visitation, and alimony;
• legitimation and paternity actions;
• Name changes through a divorce action or as a separate action;
• post divorce issues; domestic violence,
• temporary protective orders/restraining orders;
• contempt actions, adoptions; grandparent and third party custody/visitation;
• pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements,
• division of complex asset cases,
• Income Deduction Orders;
• Drafting Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO);
• interstate child support and custody matters involving the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act;
• Review of Agreements and/or Orders;
Candace is directly involved in all aspects of the court process from discovery, depositions, temporary hearings, emergency hearings, hearings on temporary protective orders to final hearings. As a divorce attorney, Candace often assists clients with simple estate planning such as drafting Last Will and Testaments, Living Wills, Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney, Financial Power of Attorney. Ms. Williams is committed to providing her clients with they need in dealing with separation of family members. Family Law is extremely sensitive and Ms Williams utilizes mediation and negotiation whenever possible, but aggressively represents her clients when litigation is necessary.
Candace places her utmost focus on the best interest of children through the family law process. Children should be protected and shielded as much as possible from the divorce process. Candace integrates her love for children through her work as a family law attorney to ensure children transition with ease following a divorce or custody matter. There is no greater value to a child than parents who co-parent well after a divorce or child custody case. Not only do the parents succeed, but the child succeeds. Candace assists her clients in determining the best custodial calendar to adopt based on real life schedules, not templates or cookie cutter forms. She works hand in hand with her clientele to teach clients how best to communicate with each other after a divorce or child custody dispute. Candace is known for her attention to detail and unyielding devotion to protecting children in the litigation process. Candace is no doubt one the top rated Family Lawyers in Northeast Georgia.
As a lawyer in Family Law, Ms. Williams handles a large variety of cases throughout Northeast Georgia, including Hall County (Gainesville, Clermont, Gillsville, Oakwood, Flowery Branch, Chestnut Mountain, Murrayville), White County (Cleveland, Helen) Habersham County (Cornelia, Demorest, Clarkesville, Baldwin), Stephens County (Toccoa), Rabun County (Clayton, Dillard), Lumpkin County (Dahlonega), Union County (Blairsville), Jackson County (Jefferson, Braselton, Maysville, Hoschton), Gwinnett County (Lawrenceville, Buford, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Dacula), Forsyth County (Cumming), Dawson County (Dawsonville), Towns County (Hiawassee), Barrow County (Auburn, Bethlehem), Cherokee County (Canton), Cobb County, and Fulton County.
Candace is a member of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and served as President of the Young Lawyers Division of the Northeastern Judicial Circuit for over two years. When Candace is not practicing law, she is spending time with her beautiful daughter. She also enjoys interior design outside her busy law practice, music, staying active, cooking, and appreciating life.
Check out what clients say about Candace:
To see all Avvo Reviews for Candace, Click Here
• "Candace is a great and professional attorney. She makes a very difficult situation seem palatable. When I was stressed she was always available the same day to answer any concerns I had. She is sweet, kind and compassionate and works extremely hard for her clients. I would definitely recommend her to anyone needing a divorce attorney. I feel very blessed to have found her."
• "Candace was a professional from the word go. From our first contact at the consult throughout the whole process she put the interests of my children first and foremost in the process. Candace worked to make sure I understood what each decision would mean. As issues came up she was very honest, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to know. She and her staff responded quickly and thoroughly to all of my questions and concerns during the process. I would highly recommend Candace and her staff for any family law issues you may have."
• “Candace Williams handled my divorce and I will personally recommend her services to anyone facing divorce. My case was complicated with multiple attorneys and a very angry combative client on the other side. Ms. Williams and her staff were responsive and kept me informed throughout the process. She was also sensitive to the financial and emotional impact of the divorce on me. With delays, unreasonable demands and punitive tactics by my ex-spouse, my case could have stretched on much longer and ultimately cost me much more over the long run."
• “Best Divorce Lawyer in Northeast Georgia,”Posted by K, a Child Custody client, 7 months ago. August of 2012 I had reached a point in my early divorce process when I needed a change in counsel. I called around and found Candace Williams. I had a very difficult case involving an emotionally ill teenage daughter and an abusive husband. The following months were filled with so many difficult scenarios and Candace maneuvered through with confidence and ease. She managed to get two temporary hearings and orchestrate a team to support my needs and my daughters. She talked to me late into the evening, and her team at the firm was so supportive and competent. At my hearing her effectiveness in the courtroom and tenacity was beyond belief. It was a comfort to see her put words to the many emotions and frustrations that the many years in an abusive marriage and the previous year of separation had created. She spoke my HEART! Her care for my daughter at all times was significant and she championed her needs constantly. She in my words fought a giant for me and won! Her brilliance in the courtroom was such that my oldest daughter and I wished we could have recorded it. …..she was amazing. She won for me my custody that in turn has helped my daughter to recover and find safety again. Divorce is very difficult but when dealing with mental illness and abuse it brings on a whole new set of issues. I trust Candace…..she has been patient, supportive, and above all has the spunk to fight for what is right. Thanks Candace and your team. I am grateful for you! God bless you all!
My sincere Gratitude,
• Excellent attorney in family law” I can't say enough good things about Candace. She was an answer to prayer in my life at a time when I so needed her professionalism, expertise,...
• Candace is one of the best attorneys I have ever worked with. She is a true professional and a credit to the legal profession. She demonstrates true dedication and professionalism towards her clients. Her knowledge of the law is very evident when she represents her clients in the court room.
• Mrs. Candace Williams represented me during a very difficult time in my life. Just the thought of needing to pursue a divorce is enough to set somebody’s entire life upside down, and after my initial consult with Candace, my fears were greatly diminished. She has a wonderful talent for truly connecting with her client’s personal experiences, and making sure that she addresses your worst fears and settles your case with expediency and precision. I always felt like I was represented by a top notch lawyer, and that she would fight for me and those I love.
• We needed someone that would listen to our case and take it as seriously as we did and work for us with diligence. I cannot thank you enough for what you and your staff (Maresa and Gina) did for us. Candace, you listened to us every step of the way and guided us in the appropriate direction. The communication was always clear, concise and timely and your attentiveness and responsiveness was evident in your documentation to the other side as well as your communication with us. Even though we were out of town, the distance did not matter because we were able to correspond effectively through phone and email. Your perseverance and the careful time and planning were proven in our final outcome. You carefully selected the mediator and other professionals in our case based on your past experience. You predicted possible problems in the future and wrote language to circumvent those potential issues. Your excellent analytical skills and willingness to take the time to make sense of large volumes of information was key to our positive outcome. Your creativity and ability to find solutions and persistence with the other side’s counsel was another additional benefit for choosing you. I was equally impressed with your written skills and ability to produce compelling arguments to help the judge to understand our difficult case. I would highly recommend you to anyone seeking family law help. I have never had a positive experience with an attorney until now. The quality of service we received from you and your staff saved us years of heartache and frustration. In our eyes, you are our hero and the go-to-gal of custody matters! Thank you Candace Williams and staff! Sincerely, C and M "
See all of Candace William's reviews on Avvo: Click Here
Follow Candace on LinkedIn : Click Here
Areas of Practice
- Family Law (Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support)
- Estate Planning & Probate (Wills, Trusts)
- Civil Litigation
- Georgia, 2003
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 2003
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 2003
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 2003
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi
- J.D. - 2002
- Honors: Top 20%
- Brenau Women's College, Gainesville, Georgia, USA
- B.A. cum laude - 1997
- Major: Political Science
- Major: History
Honors and Awards
- American Bar Association National Moot Court Competition Semifinalist "The Applicability of Arbitration", 2003
- Overall Winner of the Moot Court, Taylor, Cook, and Bush Moot Court Board Competition, Fall Semester, 2002
- Outstanding Graduate in Political Science and History, Brenau Women's College, 1997
- Outstanding Graduate Achievement in Appellate Advocacy, Mississippi College School of Law, December, 2002
- Who's Who Among American Law Students, 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Gainesville Bar Association (Northeastern Judicial Circuit)
- Young Lawyers, Northeastern Judicial Circuit, President
Past Employment Positions
- Congressman Nathan Deal, Summer Intern, 1996
- Congressman Bob Barr (R-GA), Senior Legislative Assistant: Veteran's Affairs, Commercial Banking, Environmental and Transportation Committee Assignments, Washington D.C., 1997 - 1999
- Center for Individual Freedom, Washington, D.C., Lobbyist, 1999 - 2000
- Hearn and Thomas, P.A., Legal Clerk, 2002 - 2003
- Alpha Chi Omega